Sigma
April 19, 2024, 09:07:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Sigma is now available for download.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Sigma in a nutshell (READ THIS FIRST)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sigma in a nutshell (READ THIS FIRST)  (Read 1144 times)
The Undying Nephalim
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2009, 09:48:22 pm »

For those of you who have just discovered this website and are curious, here is the general idea of Sigma.

Sigma is a total conversion of the hit RTS game 'Star Trek: Armada II'. It focuses on the development of five distinct races that are being to designed to show what is capable of the Armada engine and to offer a unique play experience that differentiates itself from stock A2. All the races are being created to play differently from one another. One race for instance builds stations and ships like stock A2 races for traditionalists to pick up on, while another race focuses on rapidly expanding with tiny mobile bases. Once race 'summons' their structures rather then using constructor units to build their infrastructure. Another race focuses on a single Starbase and adding onto the central structure for a unique defensive feeling.

Sigma at face value: "A fun mod based off of Star Trek: Armada II"

Sigma in detail:
"Five races have expanded out from their native systems in the Sintar Cluster, a dense collection of stars teeming with an abundance of resources. For years the five races have avoided contact with each other for fear of igniting a war. In one mind's attempt to unify the races in common understanding, total war ensues and the battle for preservation begins."

Greetings, and welcome to Sigma's website. Here is some background information on this project to hopefully give those interested motivation to delve deeper into the development of this mod.

First off, what is Sigma? Well first off it is copyright by me.
Sigma was an idea that developed around the time that the first Star Trek: Armada released. As my first foray into the RTS genre of video games, the concept instantly clicked and has become my favorite style of gameplay. There is some deep satisfaction in controlling a massive fleet/army/base and all the standard features common in any RTS title. In my opinion, few games have come equal or surpassed the charm and soul that is Star Trek: Armada. Not even its highly anticipated sequel could surpass the original. One thing that Armada's sequel (which I will refer to as "A2" from here on out) provided that the first didn't was a very flexible and versatile engine from which we modders could tap into and manipulate to bring forth our own creations. A huge plethora of amazing modifications have spawned from the Armada engine, some of the more well known one's include "Star Trek Armada II: Fleet Operations", "Babylon 5: Armada 2", and "Tactical Assault". Whether it was a simple ship added to the roster of Starfleet's arsenal or a total conversation that replaced everything Star Trek with Star Wars, A2 has proven to be among the best of engines for anyone who wants to create a space RTS to use.

My plans for Sigma have slowly grown since 2001. Originally it was to be a comic series I planned on attempting to release after my completion of college, however after discovering the capabilities of the Armada engine and the amazing work of A2's modding community I finally decided to learn the engine inside out and make Sigma a fully functional and unique total conversion of my favorite RTS ever made.

Alright, so what's Sigma about?
Sigma is about a massive conflict that ignites between five alien races as they battle for resources, dominance, and survival. These five races include the primal reptilian Zevestivan, the unity of mankind known as the V.R.A., the greedy and economically superior insects known as the Sov, the reclusive and technologically superior mechanical beings called the Mylock, and the heavy industrialist race of plants known as the Ekoset. For years these five alien races had avoided each other, and the policy seemed to work as conflict never developed between them. This all changed however when one powerful leader of the Zevestivan Empire attempted to communicate between the other races. Eventually contact was established, and soon after the diversity between the various species grew into fear. Overwhelmed by how 'alien' their galactic neighbors were to each other, the five races soon became engulfed in war.

You got my attention, is it possible I can be a part of Sigma?
I am seeking to maintain a very small development team for this mod. Past experience in developing other mods has shown me larger teams tend to cause development to become more like a business rather then a fun project. Simply put, yes it is possible to become part of this, but you have to prove yourself useful  Tongue.

Awesome, what can I do to join Sigma?
I am capable of modding virtually every aspect of A2 on my own, but even I still need input and help. Things that will definitely guarantee you a spot:

1. Play Star Trek: Armada II. It does not make sense to join a mod that will require some prescience of its source material and not know absolutely anything about the game.
2. A 3D modeler who can create in the .SOD format and is capable of applying textures to models.
3. Know what an .odf file is and how to edit them.
4. Know what an .AIP file is and how to edit them.
5. Know what a .spr file is and how to edit them.
6. Know what a .tt file is and how to edit them.
7. Know how to use the A2 map editor and manipulate .bzn files.
8. Know how to make textures in RGB format.
9. Be accessible. Many mods fail for lack of communication and availability. Have access to either of these instant messengers: Yahoo Instant Messenger ( link) or MSN messenger ( link ). Both are free and easy to use. Some people have lives and are rarely available: if you do then don't join unless you can set aside some free time.
10. Don't treat the mod like a business, this is being developed as a fun project.
11. Please, Please use good grammar when communicating to me, a team member, or anyone in general. I understand the internet has "stoopified" our intellectual grasp on proper language and I am fine with things like "lol" and "brb." However, if 90% of your sentences look like this: "goo news is the ver all map is lloking good once im doine ill have it on computah," chances are you are in the wrong place and I will ignore you or chuckle at your inability to briefly go over what you typed and make it understandable.
12. Contact me. My email and yahoo messenger are undyingnephalim@yahoo.com. My msn messenger is undyingnephalim@live.com. If you still can't get a'hold of me, send me a note via deviantart: http://undyingnephalim.deviantart.com/

Chances are if you have done #1 and at least know how to do several other things on the list that you will be accepted.

Awesome, is there anything else I can learn about Sigma?

If you are still interested in Sigma, check out the playable races: link
and also check out the music of Monarchy One who has signed on to compose for this project: link
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 01:51:50 am by The Undying Nephalim » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: